Need some motivation to clean out your wardrobe?
Here it is: this week is National Op Shop Week!
According to www.dosomethingnearyou.com.au, donations to charitable op shops are going down, leaving many short of clothes and other items, so now is the perfect time to give.
I donate to op shops in observance of the great karmic circle that is my overstuffed wardrobe, but I accept that it can be hard to part with favourite items – never mind that it’s two sizes too small, the colour washes you out and you haven’t worn it in a year.
Here’s some trick I use to differentiate the keeps, from the keep nots.
- Turn all your hangers so they face towards you, and as you use each item of clothing, turn the hanger the opposite way round. Those items that are still hung with the hanger the wrong way round in 3 to 6 months, get ditched.
- Are you keeping it because you think it may come back into fashion, or that you’ll fit into it one day? Face the truth and accept the fact it’s just taking up precious wardrobe space. Do like a disney princess and Let It Go.
- Be honest – is it your colouring and does it flatter your body shape?
- Can it be repurposed or taken to a tailor?
So you’ve cleaned out your closet and decided what you want to donate – but don’t use this as an excuse to dump your unusable/grotty/stained/ items – charities waste thousands every year disposing of items they can’t sell.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Ask yourself if you’d give it to a friend. If the answer’s no, then don’t give it to an op shop.
- Is it clean, and undamaged.
- Can you imagine someone buying, and enjoying your donated item?
- Can the op shop sell it for a good price?
To find out more, get to http://www.dosomethingnearyou.com.au/campaigns/op-shop-week and happy spring cleaning!
P.S – Here is my FAVOURITE op shop find of all time – a beaded, creme dress grabbed for a bargain $60 at Vinnies on Spit Junction in Mosman, NSW (10 Spit Road 2088)
It’s times when you find something like this and your heart skips a beat. See? There is still good stuff at op shops! You just have to look…